By Daniel Van Sickle
Staff Reporter

Cowley College and Southwestern College women’s tennis had a friendly scrimmage on Wednesday at Whittier Tennis Courts in Winfield.

Although the atmosphere was not as intense as in an official match both teams played hard and tested each other’s skills. Cowley College who is regularly placed in the top ten in the nation in their division was a very good team to face to help the Southwestern builders tune up their game.

Jason Speegle, head tennis coach, said, “The girls’ team has a chance to be really good this year as there is a good group returning and a good group of talented individuals that joined the family this year”

He did go on to note that they are just starting to get into the swing of things and consistency wise they are not where they want to be.

Overall,  Jason Speegle was very pleased.  He felt the women’s team gave their best effort and that their performance at the scrimmage revealed a lot of positives that spoke well of the prospects of the women builder’s team’s position for this year.

The women’s team’s first official match is at the Tabor College Invitational Tournament in Hillsboro on Sept. 7. at 8 a.m..

Daniel Van Sickle is a senior majoring in Business Administration. You may email him at Daniel.VanSickle@sckans.edu