By Will Rosson

The Lady Builders suffered a hard 0-5 loss against Mid-America Christian University. After a second straight loss, the team’s record now falls to 2-2.

Cooler temperatures and wind gusts over 20mph made it difficult, but the Builders held their ground allowing only one goal in the first half. The goal came at the 15 minute mark as freshman goalkeeper Sarah Walsh made an aggressive challenge, but was beat, allowing the easy goal for MACU.

The second half started with a change in goal for Southwestern, as Lauren Strain, freshman goalkeeper, took the field. Change in goal did not help the Lady Builders team, as they were defending the ball throughout most of the game. Chances were limited as MACU’s speed and energy controlled the ball. Strain allowed one goal while making two saves. Strain’s second save also resulted in injury. The shot was taken at close range, and the ball was kicked into Strain’s face. Strain was taken out by ambulance.

“Because it was my neck and head that was hurt they had to call the ambulance because if I moved my neck it could have paralyzed me,” said Strain. “I was at the hospital until midnight. They did X-rays and a cat scan but did not find any fractures, although the muscles surrounding my neck and spine were extremely tense and were no longer curved with my spine. They ended up saying I had sprained muscles around my neck and spine, and I have a slight concussion. I am doing much better today, just pretty sore.  I should be back on the field late next week.”

When the game resumed, the Lady Builders only got worse as MACU continued to control the game with their speed and strong passing. The game ended on a bad note as the Builders allowed three goals in the last two minutes of the game.

“Allowing the three goals in the last couple of minutes was the most disappointing part of the game,” said Kaci Hutchinson, freshman forward. “We will be training hard before the next game with lots of running and goal training.”

Joe Wood, head women’s soccer coach did not speak with the media immediately following the game. The Lady Builders walked off the field and were running the practice field following their loss.

Will Rosson is a senior majoring in communication. You may e-mail him at will.rosson@sckans.edu.