By Will Rosson

The women’s soccer team opened their season with a win against Northwestern Oklahoma State University 2-1, Monday night. Not only did this mark their first win for the season, but it also was the first of any team sport to win in Richard L. Jantz Stadium since its opening last fall.

“I’m just happy,” said Joe Wood, head women’s soccer coach. “It’s good for the girls to start off with a win, especially after the season we had last year. Hopefully we can build off of this momentum into the season.”

Lauren Strain, freshman goalkeeper, not only showed enthusiasm and helped encourage her team for 90 minutes, but recorded three saves in her first game at the collegiate level.

“I feel overwhelmed. This was amazing, and I did this not for myself, but for my team,” said Strain.

The team, featuring 15 new players, played very well and seemed to be very relaxed, unlike last season. The ball was moved up the field very well, and the Builders out-shot NWOSU 9-4.

Southwestern tied the game 1-1 about 66 minutes into the game with a goal by transfer student Lauren Reed, junior forward. A minute later, the Builders got the go ahead goal from a scramble in front of the net, scored by another transfer student, Nikki Dart, junior forward. The Builders then kept the ball in possession until the clock ran out.

“We have a win under our belt, and it makes me really happy. We worked as a team and had great passing all game long,” said Maddie Chapin, sophomore center back.

“I’m really excited. Our future is looking bright,” said Wood.

Will Rosson is a senior majoring in communication. You may e-mail him at will.rosson@sckans.edu.