By Lacie Holbert

Quarterfinals for women’s soccer have officially begun. The conference tournament kicks off today. The Lady Builders have earned a season record of 7-9-1. They face the Lady Bulldogs, with a season record of 9-4-3 at 7 p.m. Bethel hosts Friends. Ottawa and Kansas Wesleyan automatically advance on to the semifinals to face the winners of today’s games Nov. 10. In order to compete in the conference tournament a team had to be in the top six in conference rankings. For every win a team has, they receive three points. For every tie a team has, they get one point. The higher seeded teams will host and the tournament is single elimination.

Joe Wood, head women’s soccer coach, said, “I do not know a lot about McPherson. The last time we faced them I was out due to being sick. Unfortunately we did not get game video on them due to the weather. From talking to the girls, I think the game could go either way. They beat us 1-0 last time and there was some controversy over the goal they scored. Apparently the ball went out of bounds and they continued to play it. I don’t know exactly what happened. The girls learned to keep playing until they hear a whistle.”

Wood said they are aware of the strength McPherson has and of their strongest offensive players and is hoping that knowledge will give them a victory.

He knows the team will have a few minor setbacks with two injured players. Both Nicole Mound and Amber Jones will be sitting out due to concussions. Wood said, “I think the girls are excited and ready to play. We are going into the game picture perfect. Our main focus is going in and winning the game.”

Lacie Holbert is a sophomore majoring in convergent journalism. You may e-mail her at lacie.holbert@sckans.edu.