By Garrett Chapman

The Lady Builders snapped their two-game losing streak when they defeated the Threshers, 2-0.

Southwestern out-shot Bethel 27-6 with 15 shots on goal while Bethel only had 2 shots on goal. Kelsey Gresham, senior goalie, saved both shots to help the team to a shutout.

Sierra Meyer, junior midfielder, gave the team momentum by putting a goal away just thirteen minutes into the match.

“We wanted to try to dictate the play of the game by combination play to help get in behind the defense. I feel like we stuck to the plan the first seventy minutes, but we have to keep concentration throughout the whole game,” said Joe Wood, head coach.

The Builders got behind the Threshers defense multiple times to create scoring opportunities.

Courtney Hornback, junior midfielder, said, “We moved the ball around really well. We did a lot of passing to get the defense out of position then we sent the ball through to have a shot on goal.”

Abbie Woods, freshman forward, gave the builders a comfortable 2-0 lead in the 55th minute. The team held the lead to the end of the game.

“We continued to apply high pressure and did a great job working the ball through our midfield. We also did a good job connecting with one another and working for each other on and off the ball,” said Kaci Hutchinson, junior midfielder.

The Lady Builders will return to the field at 5 p.m. Oct. 23 at Peoples Bank Field against Ottawa University.

Garrett Chapman is a freshman majoring in communication. You may email him at Garrett.Chapman@sckans.edu.