Sports editor

The women’s soccer team got their ticket to a championship game when they knocked off second seeded Ottawa Braves 2-1 at Peoples Bank Field. This game was the semifinal of the Kansas Collegiate Athletic Conference Championship tournament.

Now, the Lady Builders need to prepare to face first-seeded Kansas Wesleyan. They played against them on Oct. 29 falling 6-1. The Lady Coyotes stand 9-0 in the KCAC.

The game ended with goals from Sierra Meyer, sophomore midfielder, and Alyson Sparkman, senior forward.

Meyer opened the scoreboard on the 53rd minute when she scored from a corner kick. Kaci Hutchinson, sophomore forward, assisted the goal. Minutes later, the Lady Braves answered putting the momentary 1-1 score.

Five minutes before the final whistle, Sparkman scored the definitive goal for the Lady Builders to achieve something that has never been done before by the team. Maddie Chapin, junior defender, played the ball from a free kick and Sparkman connected it with a header.

Both teams ended with 12 shots. Out of the 12 attempted, the Lady Builders shot four on-target against six from the Lady Braves.

This is the team’s second consecutive win. Both wins have been in the tournament. With this victory under their belts, they now stand 10-8 in the National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics.

They will play the championship game on Nov. 10 at Richard L. Jantz Stadium. Kick off starts at 1 p.m. The winner of this game will advance to the opening round of the NAIA National Championship Opening Round.

Angel Vadillo is a sophomore majoring in communication. You may e-mail him at angel.vadillo@sckans.edu.