Conference is officially over for the men and women’s soccer team. The men’s team finished the season in last place in the conference. Their season record was 1-15-1.  As for the women’s team, they are preparing for the women’s quarterfinal tournament which will start Nov. 6. This will be the first time since 2005 to attend the quarterfinal tournament and the most conference wins since 2004.The Lady Builders go into the tournament ranked currently No. 6 with a record of 7-9-1.

For the quarterfinals the team seated higher in conference will host. In order to advance to the quarterfinals tournament, a team must be ranked within the top six in the Kansas Collegiate Athletic Conference rankings. The teams competing in the tournament include: Ottawa University, Kansas Wesleyan University, McPherson College, Friends University, Bethel College and Southwestern. The tournament will be played single elimination. On Nov. 6 the No. 3 team will play the No. 6 ranked team and the No. 4 team will play the No. 5 team ranked team. Leaving the top two teams in conference to advance on to the semifinals, which will be played on Nov. 10.  From there the winners of the semifinal game will advance on to the finals Nov. 14, hosted by Tabor.

The women’s team lost 2-0 to Kansas Wesleyan Oct. 31. Rachel Muth, junior goalie, said, “We had a really good first half, but came out flat the second half. I think overall the game could have been a lot better. As a team we need to figure out how to play a full 90 minutes consistently.”

The men’s team lost 8-1 to Kansas Wesleyan Oct. 31. Andrew Bonvehi, senior forward, scored the only goal for the Builders. Stefan Carter, freshmen midfielder, made the assist.

Carter said, “The game was really slow starting off but after the first half we picked up the intensity of the game. Kansas Wesleyan was a tough game. As a team, they have a lot of talent and speed.”

The women’s team lost 6-0 to Ottawa Oct. 28. Joe Wood, head women’s soccer coach, said, “Ottawa was a really tough game. We held them scoreless for the first 20 minutes of the game. We had opportunities to score, but couldn’t get our foot on it. Their No. 1 in conference and have only given up one goal to McPherson in conference play. Ottawa is goal scoring team when their in they’re zone.”

The men’s team lost 3-0 to Ottawa Oct.28. Jason Bond, junior defense, said, “Ottawa was a good quality team that had a lot of strong athletes. They had a lot speed, plus a lot more subs, then we had. It’s tough not having many subs, if any at all and trying to keep up with our opponent for 90 minutes. I think not having many subs really affects our team during a game.”

The women’s team lost 2-0 to Friends Oct. 24. The Falcons scored once in the first half and then once in the second half.
Wood said, “The Friends game was a special game because it was senior day. We recognized two seniors, Kerry Sonnenburg and Rene Schwan. It was a very winnable game, but unfortunately we could not put anything in the back of the net.”

The men’s team lost 2-1 to Friends Oct. 24. Andrew Bonvehi, senior forward, scored the only goal for the Builders. Bonvehi scored the first goal of the game. The Builders took the Falcons into overtime but the Falcons scored the winning goal.

Bond said, “I thought the Friends game was a really good game and effort by the team. Our midfielders really stepped it up and played great. Also Daniel Forsyth, goalie, made a lot of saves which helped save us.”

The women’s team lost to McPherson College 1-0 Oct. 21. Wood said, “I was not at the game due to being sick, but assistant coach, Kate Norton ran the team. I know the conditions of the game were not great.  Officials talked of post-ponning the game due to the storm, but decided to play it anyways. From what I was told by the girls, it was a very winnable game. Apparently their was a situation when McPherson scored. Since I was not there, I do not know specific details over it. All I know is the ball went out of bounds, but they continued to play it and that’s how they scored.”

The men’s team lost 8-1 to McPherson College Oct. 21. Shane Nieses, senior forward, scored the only goal for the Builders.

Bond said, “The game really should have been closer than it was. The game started out not so bad but then we scored on ourselves. The ball bounced off one of our own players and went in. Then the second goal we just didn’t close them down fast enough. It just seemed to continue throughout the game. Our midfielders don’t stop running and it makes it tough after 45 minutes to continue mentally. McPherson was just a really attacking team and as a team we really miscomunicated when it came to shutting them down.” 

Lacie Holbert is a sophomore majoring in convergent journalism. You may e-mail her at lacie.holbert@sckans.edu.