By Joshua Eibl

With Sunday’s 3-0 win over McPherson the women’s soccer team will host the KCAC quarterfinal playoff game against Bethel.

“The girls played hard and we have our best games when we communicate well and work hard off the ball,” Joe Wood, head women’s soccer coach said.

Ashley Soderlund, sophomore goalkeeper, said, “My three defenders held down the fort and were able to connect passes into the offense so this shutout was really theirs.”

“The formation also allowed us to push one more player forward into the offense for another outlet and our creativity on the field was back and gave us the opportunity to have so many shots,” Soderlund said.

The Builders played a 3-5-2 formation with Soderlund earning her sixth shutout this season.

Wood said, “When we put the other team under pressure the girls have more fun and they’re more successful and that’s what we did for the most part today.”

The women’s team outshot McPherson with 28-3 shots and 18-0 shots on goal.

“There were a couple of times where we got too comfortable but all in all the girls played really well,” Wood said.

The Lady Moundbuilders KCAC record is 7-4 after today’s win.

The Builders finished the regular season fourth in the KCAC standings with the first eight teams going to the tournament.

“Bethel was a tough win for us in the fall but if the girls come out and play like they did today and work hard we will be really successful,” Wood said.

Bethel finished fifth in the KCAC with a record of 6-4-1.

The Builders will play the KCAC Tournament quarterfinal on Friday against Bethel at 4:30 p.m. at the Richard L. Jantz Stadium.