The women’s team competed at the Wichita Wild Wind Festival held at the Kansas Pavilion Sept. 10.

Running the 5K was a new experience for some of the Southwestern cross country women. “I’d have to say that running a 5K was definitely a new experience for me simply because in high school we competed only in 4Ks,” said Emily Honsicker, athletic training freshman. “Opening up my collegiate season at Wichita State by running a 4K was a nice meet to ease my way into running at this level.”

The women competed against Friends University, Newman University, Oklahoma Wesleyan and other junior colleges. Weather conditions were favorable, and the start was nearly ideal except for the saturated course. “The weather as perfect,” said Rachel Busch, freshman. “It was just the right temperature, and not much wind. I couldn’t have asked for a better day to run.”

When the race started, Jennifer Hendrixson, business administration senior, was in the lead of the race for the first turn. Trailing her were teammates Briana Cathcart, biology freshman and Sydnee Nelson, biochemistry junior.

The women trailed behind Friends University and Newman University. Jennifer Hendrixon placed seventh with a time of 19:48. Cathcart placed twelfth with a time of 20:05.

The women will compete next at Missouri in the Southern Missouri Stampede.

Richard Gould is a senior majoring in business administration. You may email him at richard.gould@sckans.edu.

Jacey Cullop, biology senior, passes a Newman University opponent at the Friends Invitational Sept. 10 The Southwestern College women's cross country team placed third out of 14 teams. Three runners finished in the top 20. Cullop finished with a time of 21:39 placing in the top 30. Success is something Southwestern is used to. They took second at this meet last year.