Sports editor

The Lady Builders are going to the championship game in Park City for the second year in a row. Southwestern will face No. 4 Kansas Wesleyan Feb. 26 at 8 p.m.

The women’s basketball team defeated Tabor Lady Blue Jays Feb. 23 at Tabor Gym in Hillsboro 57-46.

The semi-final for the Kansas Collegiate Athletic Conference between No. 2 seed Tabor and No. 3 seed Southwestern Lady Builders was a back and forth paced contest.

Montana Rickey, sophomore forward, was the night’s top scorer with 13 points. Trinicia Shaffer, junior guard, rebounded the most for the night. Shaffer ended with seven rebounds to help the Lady Builders overcome the Blue Jays.

Ten minutes into the game, Southwestern had the lead 16-10. Then, with two minutes remaining, Tabor shortened distances by two.

Jessica Hobbs, freshman guard, penetrated a solid defense to score a layup and increase the lead by four with one minute remaining. On the following play, Jana Reichenberger, freshman forward, rebound a ball and started a fast break that ended with two points for the visitors.

Sheri Zoglmann, junior guard, fouled by a moving screen which gave Tabor a one on one. Tabor scored the first one and missed the second one shortening distances by three points.

The last play of the first half seemed to be for Southwestern but Zefiryn Bryan, junior forward, lost the ball with less than 10 seconds in the clock. Tabor shot it from long range but did not go in.

This sent both teams to the locker rooms with the score untouched 25-22.

As soon as the second half started, Tabor pressured and scored the first basket. Three minutes later, the game was tied from a 3-pointer. Thirty seconds after that, the Lady Blue Jays turned the score which gave them their first lead during the game, by two points. The score was 29-27 for Tabor.

Rickey demonstrated the Lady Builders were not finished by tying the game with a long range shot with 12:33 to go.

On the following play, Tabor went up once again after two consecutive fouls by the Lady Builders.

Southwestern did not give up and Reichenberger scored a fouled basket which gave the team 3 points to have the lead once again 38-35. Within 30 seconds, the Lady Builders woke up and score six unanswered points to give them the swing they needed.

The scoreboard showed 40-35 for the Lady Builders with 10 minutes to go.

Tabor could not keep up with Southwestern. With five minutes left, the Lady Builders increased their lead by nine.

Southwestern kept possession of the ball and made wise shots during the last minutes which gave them the victory.

The Lady Builders outnumbered Tabor in all percentages. They had 39 percent of field goals, four out of 13 from long range, and 81 percent from the penalty line.

This resulted in the Lady Builders 11 point win which puts them in the Championship game against the Lady Coyotes.

Southwestern and Kansas Wesleyan divided the two games they played.

On Dec. 1 the Lady Coyotes visited Stewart Field House and lost 85-56. For the next game, Jan. 23, the Lady Builders hit the road and fell short 70-64.

The third game will be held in neutral ground, Hartman Arena. Tip-off is set to be at 8 p.m.

Angel Vadillo is a sophomore majoring in communication. You may e-mail him at angel.vadillo@sckans.edu.