By Gabby Gamez

Warm, sandy beaches and crystal clear waters beckon the Lady Builder basketball team this Christmas. The team takes a trip to Florida every two years over the holiday season.

Dave Denly, head women’s basketball coach, said they will be playing two exhibition games while they are down in the sunshine state. The Lady Builders will be playing in the Bahama House Classic in Daytona Beach, Fla. They will face Embry-Riddle and Warner College.

The Lady Builders have done extensive fundraising in order to be able to go. “We will be taking all 23 players,” said Denly. The team has sold apparel such as t-shirts and hoodies. The coaching staff is also asking alumni for their support. Denly is personally speaking to boosters about help in sponsoring this year’s trip.

Jordan Hobbs, senior point guard, said “We have to play $600 which is our plane ticket.” With such a large sum to cover, the Lady Builders have also sent out letters to family members thanking them for their support in the past season. The letters also ask for donations for specific players. Whatever is donated goes to pay off their balance.

Tiffany Rieger, sophomore point guard, said “I have never been on the Florida trip, but I am looking forward to the warm beach and weather, not having to deal with the Kansas cold.”

Hobbs said that she is looking forward to Universal Studios and Harry Potter World.

The Lady Builders will kick off their season at 7 p.m. on Oct. 31 in Stewart Field House vs. Hastings College.

Gabby Gamez is a junior majoring in communication. You may contact her at gabby.gamez@sckans.edu.