Tylar Hartfield, junior forward, goes up for a shot during the first half of Thursday's 68-62 over Ottawa at home. Hartfield had her third straight double-double of the season, scoring 26 points and grabbing 14 rebounds. Clinton Dick/Collegian photographer.

After 30 minutes of scrappy play, the Lady Builders pulled away from Ottawa to clinch their first Kansas Collegiate Athletic Conference win of the season. The teams went back and forth for most of the game Thursday in Stewart Field House, but the Builders finished strong, winning 68-62. It was the first conference home game of the season for SC, who improved to 7-4 on the season and 1-2 in conference play.

Both teams struggled with shooting and turnovers in the first half, with neither team able to gain much momentum on the other. Ottawa, 3-8 overall and 1-2 in the KCAC, stayed with the Builders for the entirety of the first half and tied the game going into the locker rooms at 28.

Ottawa continued to find success against Southwestern’s defense, putting up the first four points of the second half. The Lady Builders finally began to find their rhythm midway through the second half and outlasted the Braves the rest of the way.

The Braves outshot SC in every category, especially in three-point shooting. The Builders hit just 4 of 21 beyond the arch, while the Braves went 5 of 15.

Southwestern did have success rebounding, racking up 46 rebounds, half of them offensive.

Both teams played sloppy none the less as there was a total of 53 turnovers in the game, 30 of them committed by Ottawa.

Tylar Hartfield, junior forward, continued her break out season as she had her third consecutive double-double, scoring 26 points and snatching 14 rebounds.

Brett Bates, junior guard, scored 11 for the Builders and led in assists with four.

Southwestern plays their next game at home against the 8-3 Bethel Threshers. The game tips off at 5 p.m. in Stewart Field House.

Clinton Dick is a sophomore majoring in convergent journalism. You may e-mail him at clinton.dick@sckans.edu.