Brett Bates, junior guard, goes up for a layup during a fast break as Tylar Hartfield, senior forward, watches during their game at Stewart Field house on Friday against Hastings College. The woman pulled through with a win 66-60. (Samantha Gillis/Collegian photographer)

By Kyle Killgore

The Lady Builders basketball team jumped out to an early lead and never looked back against high ranked Hastings College.

The Builders never trailed after jumping out to a five point lead early in the game. Southwestern, at points of the game, led by 18. All 14 players played for Southwestern, helping them keep fresh legs on the court so that they could stay competitive against Hastings. “It was really a team effort,” said Brett Bates, Biology Junior, “most teams only have 8 or 9 people that they play, so if we are rotating in all 14, it is really going to work out for us at the end of the game.”

Hastings started to have a run late in the game, narrowing a big deficit to a mere six, but the fresh legs of Southwestern held off Hastings in the end. Hastings never got closer than five in the game.

The full court pressure was a great resource for the Builders keeping pressure on Hastings the whole night. Head Coach Dave Denly said, “I thought we did a nice job tonight of keeping the pressure on them. We wore them down a little bit, which allowed us to have our runs and spurts.”

Bates, lead the attack with 12 points in her 27 minutes of work. Jasmine Jackson contributed with nine of her own. Tyler Hartfield had six rebounds to help boost the Builders to 4-0.

Kyle Killgore is a freshman majoring in communication. You may e-mail him at kyle.killgore@sckans.edu