use2

Tylar Hartfield, sophomore forward, drives around a University of Science and Arts of Oklahoma defender Nov. 14 during the women’s 56-52 win at the Tara Patterson Memorial Coca-Cola Classic. Hartfield had five points and six rebounds. The team was led in scoring by Jasmine Manuel, junior guard, who had 16 points, five rebounds and two steals to propel the Lady Builders to 2-2 for the season. The women will play Washburn University in an exhibition game Saturday at 7 p.m. in Topeka. Cameron Siefkes/photographer

By Michelle Dreiling

The Builders take on Doane College 7 p.m. Nov. 17 at home. The Lady Tigers are also 2-2 going into Tuesday’s game. Results of this game will be available online Nov. 18 at sccollegian.com or scupdate.org.

They tied the record, 2-2 in an eventful weekend for the Lady Builders. The Tara Patterson Memorial Coca-Cola Classic tournament started for the Builders with a game against Hillsdale Freewill Baptist Friday night. Going into the game, the Hillsdale Saints’ record was 0-3. The Builders led the whole game, but Dave Denly, head women’s basketball coach, was very animated in his coaching during the first half, motivating the team to get up and down the floor. The team led 30-11 at halftime, but they didn’t let up after the break.

Autumn Drake, Hillsdale head coach, started off the second half with a technical foul. Sara Maxwell, junior guard, made the foul shots, and the Builders sunk two field goals and a three-pointer in the next two minutes. With eight minutes to go in the game, the Builders ran away with two more layups and another two field goals from Jacey Cullop, sophomore guard and Whitney Ward, junior forward. The final score of the game was 76-31. Jasmine Jackson, sophomore forward, was the lead scorer of the game with 14 points.

Denly was grateful for the win, but had points ready for the team to improve upon. “We should’ve had 40 to 45 points on the board in the first half. We just need energy.” He praised the performance of Tylar Hartfield, sophomore forward, Amy Laible, senior forward, and Maxwell.”Hartfield played with the energy and explosiveness that we need to see her play with. I thought Amy and Maxwell did a good job coming in.”

The Builders’ final game of the Tara Patterson tournament was against the University of Science and Arts of Oklahoma Lady Drovers Saturday night. The Drovers’ record going into the game was 2-1. The first half of the game was back and forth, with the Builders going into halftime trailing 25-28.

The lead continued to bounce back and forth after the half. With an intense six minutes to go in the game, Catherine Haikin, sophomore guard, drew two fouls, making all foul shots. Jasmine Manuel, junior guard, followed with a field goal and a three-point shot to tie the game at 46. Hartfield followed with a field goal, and USAO answered with another two goals, making the score 48-50 with three minutes to play. Foul shots dominated the last three minutes’ scoring, with Southwestern making eight out of ten shots, and USAO going two for four. The Builders won the game with a final score of 56-52.

“I feel the team improved on a lot of things in the tournament, but the most important thing was proving to ourselves that even in tough situations we can overcome them if we come together as a team,” said Haikin.

Jackson felt that the team really came together to get these two wins, but also sees areas to improve. “During the tournament we showed mental toughness. We worked hard and put forth a great team effort. We definitely need to work on being consistent. Overall, we just have to work on being on the same page every night, knowing our role as a player, and that we need each other in order to get the job done,” said Jackson.

Haikin credits part of the team’s intensity to having many Southwestern fans. “I think having a home crowd was good for our team. There was a lot of energy and hype in the gym before the game started,” said Haikin.

Michelle Dreiling is a senior majoring in communication. You may e-mail her at michelle.dreiling@sckans.edu.