It is tough to win basketball games in the Kansas Collegiate Athletic Conference when you only score 15 second half points against the second place team. That was the case Saturday as the Lady Builders fell to the Kansas Wesleyan Coyotes 59-43 in Salina.

The first 20 minutes featured continuous momentum shifts. The Coyotes went up 10-2 in the early minutes of the game. The Builders would go on a run of their own as they took a nine-point lead off of a 22-5 run with eight minutes remaining. Kansas Wesleyan knotted things up at 28 as the teams went into the locker rooms for halftime.

Jasmine Manuel, junior forward, led the Builders in scoring at the half with eight points while Tylar Hartfield, sophomore forward, had eight rebounds. The women shot 36 percent from the field and out-rebounded the Coyotes 24-15 in the first half.

The second half didn’t go as smooth for Southwestern. The Coyotes grabbed an early lead and didn’t look back. The Builders struggled with miscues and missed shots as 31-15 second half run ended any chance of SC moving ahead of Kansas Wesleyan for second place in the KCAC standings.

The women hit just five shots in the second half and ended the game 14-57 from the field. After starting the game 4-5 from beyond the arch, the Builders hit just two of their final 19.

The Lady Builders will play their first KCAC tournament game at 7 p.m. on Feb. 24 against Tabor College.

Clinton Dick is a freshman majoring in convergent journalism. You may e-mail him at clinton.dick@sckans.edu.