Jordyn Cossman, junior forward, and Jasmin Manuel, senior guard, and a Sterling player go after a loose ball during the home game on Saturday. (Samantha Gillis/Collegian photographer)

A tough battle in Stewart Field House Saturday did not go in Southwestern’s favor. The No. 3 Builders lost to No. 2 Warriors, with a final score of 78-45.

The win helps Sterling surpass Kansas Wesylan for first place atop the Kansas Collegiate Athletic Conference. The win brings Sterling to 9-1 in the conference record.

The Builders maintain third in the KCAC with 7-3 record, and 14-5 overall.

Dave Denly, head woman’s basketball coach, said “We just did not shoot the ball very well. We had many great opportunities, but we just could not capitalize on anything.”

Tylar Hartfield, senior forward, led the Builders for the second game in a row with 12 points, and 16 rebounds. In the first half she made 10 points, and 11 rebounds. Hartfield was shut down on the boards throughout the second half of the game.

Hartfield was the only Builder to have double digits. Zefiryn Bryan, freshman forward, went on to make eight points, and Catherine Haikin, junior guard, was the third lead scorer with five points.

“Sterling played good defense, and shot very well. We got shots all night that we wanted, but we just couldn’t capitalize on any of them, and they outshot us in free throws as well. We just could not keep up with them,” said Denly.

Southwestern shot 19.6 percent on the night, and Kim Kellogg, junior guard, made the only three-pointer of the night. The Warriors would go on to outshoot the Builders by shooting 43 percent from the field, and 83 percent from the free throw line.

“We have faith in each other, and great ambition. We can bounce back from this game. We have a great opportunity next week against Kansas Wesleyan, and if we can get back to Lady Builders Basketball we can play a great game,” said Denly. “We want the fans to come out next Thursday, and help us out. We will try our best to bring them Lady Builders Basketball.”

Southwestern’s next game takes place at 6 p.m. Jan. 27 at Stewart Field House against Kansas Wesleyan.

Erica Dunigan is a junior majoring in convergent journalism. You may e-mail her at erica.dunigan@sckans.edu