Gabby Gamez

Alex Shimp, sophomore defense, tries to control a ball that was cleared off by the MACU defense during the first half of the game. (Angel Vadillo/Collegian photographer)

The center forward for MACU winds back her leg and releases it launching the soccer ball over 35 yards away only to be met with the top left corner bar of the goal frame, effectively blocking it from going into the Lady Builder’s goal.

The Southwestern women’s soccer team endured a tough first half against Mid-America Christian. Trailing by three, the lady builders were forced to make a goalie switch with 15 minutes left in the first half.

Alisson Totty, biology senior, said “the goalie change brought a lot more confidence to the defense.” Though even with a new keeper in the net the lady builder defense was unable to stop MACU’s forward from repeatedly coming down the left side and taking shots from outside the 18 yard box.

The MACU forwards were able to cause the defense trouble both on the aggressive side as well as with communication. Totty said “Sometimes it’s hard to know if I’m making the right call or not, but I know that’s what I’m supposed to be doing.”

The fight continued through the second half with the Lady Builders improving their play but it was out shined by MACU’s consistency on the attack the entire game.

Sierra Meyer, business senior, said “As a team we just didn’t play our game and instead we played to the opponents.” Meyer found herself constantly having to be that key midfielder who stepped up to the plate to relieve some pressure on the defensive end.

Meyer acted as a significant defender by dropping back in coverage for Totty when the defense was unable to collapse back into a supporting position fast enough.

On the offensive side, the Lady Builders were able to get three crosses in to the box but with no real threat to the strong Lady Evangel defense. The crosses were curled to the sweet back post but the Lady Builders were unable to get on to the end of them. Meyer said “It’s frustrating when it happens but they tried and that’s all I can ask for is to try.”

The midfielders and forwards were struggling to maintain ball control on a consistent basis. They turned the ball over to MACU from bad first touches. The lack of communication was evident when one person was left to challenge with a late support from behind.

Leslie Pasarell, history junior, said “it was tough, we weren’t playing our game. I didn’t think I was on top of my game and we weren’t really there.” Often times during the game Pasarell was left to chase the ball around the MACU defense or run on to a ball that was passed too far ahead.

The Lady Builders were disappointed with the result but Totty still has hope. She said, “they will come out stronger and more organized for their next game.”

Gabby Gamez is a junior majoring in communication. You may email her at gabby.gamez@sckans.edu.