By Lacie Holbert

The women’s soccer team is getting prepared to face off their next opponent, Mid-America Christian University on Saturday. The Lady Evangels bring a 1-2 record to Winfield.

Kelli Florio,sophomore midfielder, moves the ball downfield against Oklahoma Wesleyan University Sept. 10. The women won 1-0. Their next game is scheduled for Saturday against Mid-America Christian College.

Joe Wood, head women’s soccer coach, said the first three teams the ladies faced were the toughest. “Mid-America Christian was a much stronger team then Bacone College last year, but as far as this year goes, I have not heard anything about them,” said Wood.

Alex Hopson, sophomore forward, said playing Mid-America would be a great head to head competition since the Lady Evangels were such a strong team last season. “I am very excited to see how the team does against Mid America compared to the last time we faced them.”

The women’s team lost 1-0 to Manhattan Christian Sept. 12. Kelli Florio, sophomore forward, said “This game is all about finishing and if we can’t finish then we can’t win games. We had some good rhythm with each other and had possession most of the game. This was definitely a game we could and should have won. Were going to re-group for Tuesday’s game against Central Christian.”

The Lady Builders beat Oklahoma Wesleyan 1- 0 on Sept. 10. Nicole Mound, freshman midfielder, scored the goal to win the game against Oklahoma Wesleyan. Florio said, “Compared to the first game we played, we looked a lot more organized and are starting to figure out how each other works.” Florio said the team played well against Oklahoma Wesleyan. “We just need to continue to generate offense and get more shots on frame.”

Morgan Constantine, sophomore forward, thought for trying a new formation, the team played well against Oklahoma Wesleyan. Constantine said the team used a new formation that consisted of three forwards, four midfielders and four defenders instead of two forwards, four midfielders and four defenders. “We should have had more goals, but well take a win and I think we dominated our game.”

The women’s soccer team kicked off their first game of the season against Bacone College Sept. 1. The game ended in a 1-1 tie due to time and lightning. Kerry Sonnenberg, senior mid fielder, scored the one goal to tie Bacone.

Wood said, “Bacone was a great match for our first game because they are a physical and solid team.”

Constantine said for the first game everyone was still learning how one another played. Constantine said, “I think this year we are going to really surprise everyone.”

Hopson said, “I think we went down and played on Bacone’s level which is something we do not need to do as a team.” Hopson said Bacone did not seem as strong as they had been in the past and they should have beaten them.

The team played Central Christian College yesterday. Results were not available at press time.

The Lady Builders will begin conference play Oct. 3 when they host Bethany.

Lacie Holbert is a sophomore majoring in convergent journalism. You may e-mail her at lacie.holbert@sckans.edu