The women’s basketball team fell to 16-7 overall and 9-4 in the Kansas Collegiate Athletic Conference Thursday evening with a 62-57 loss to Bethel. The loss allowed the Threshers to move up in the conference standings to a third-place tie with SC.

The Builders led throughout the opening minutes of the game, but the Threshers turned it on late.  Bethel went on a 9-0 run to go up 36-28 with 41 seconds remaining in the first half. Andrea Smith, sophomore forward, drained a three-point basket as time expired to cut the Thresher lead to five going into the locker rooms.

The women were not able to build on that momentum coming into the second half. Bethel jumped to 42-32 in the opening minutes. The women fought back to regain the lead 57-56 with 2:48 left on the clock off of a shot by Jasmine Manuel, junior forward.

Their lead was short-lived. Bethel went up 59-57 off of a shot by Samantha Askew, junior center.  The Threshers added two more points onto their lead off of free throws by Krishna Phifer, junior guard.

The Builders would not score another point as their final three possessions ended with two turnovers and a missed shot by Manuel. The final score read 62-57 Threshers.

It was a rough night of shooting for both teams. The Builders shot just 32.8 percent from the field while Bethel shot 37.7. Sloppiness also showed as both teams struggled to hang onto the ball. Southwestern had 21 turnovers compared to 25 committed by the Threshers.

The Lady Builder’s next game is at 5 p.m. on Feb. 6 at Stewart Field House against the McPherson College Bulldogs.

Clinton is a freshman majoring in convergent journalism.  You may e-mail him at clinton.dick@sckans.edu.