Two talented teams took the court Thursday night at Thresher Gymnasium at Bethel College. The Lady Builders and the Lady Threshers battled head to head into double overtime, with the Builders coming out on top 81-78. The Builders improve their record to 9-4 in the Kansas Collegiate Athletic Conference, and 16-6 overall. Both teams were fighting for that third spot in the KCAC standings.

Neither team would give up easily. Southwestern took the lead in the second half 54-44 with 6:36 left on the clock, but Bethel would end up fighting back to take the game into overtime 62-62. Heading into overtime the Builders would almost see the game slip away when Zefiryn Bryan, freshman forward, got called with a last second foul. It would send Bethel’s Jessica Muckenthaler, freshman guard, to the line with 1.8 seconds remaining on the clock. The Lady Builders would be able to breathe when Muckenthaler would end up missing both free throws, sending the game into double overtime. With the game on the line the Builders would put the last foul behind them, and would take the game away from the Threshers.

Dave Denly, women’s head coach, said, “I’m pretty exhausted and drained from this game. I had such emotions going through me. I thought we were done after Zefiryn got called with a foul at the last second, but we played Lady Builder Basketball and came away with the win.”

The Builders shott 36.5 percent from the field, and 16.7 from the three-point range. Even though the Lady Threshers would not walk away with the win they would still shoot 38 percent from the field, and 23.3 percent from the three-point range. The Builders would outshoot the Threshers 68.9 percent from the line, compared to the Thresher 54.8 percent.

“We had to attack the basket more, and had to be smart about what we were doing. We weren’t very smart in some areas, but as the game progressed into overtime we got smarter. Our free throws really saved us,” said Denly. “The whole team played great. We did foul a lot and gave away rebounds, but we didn’t let that get to us.”

Brett Bates, junior guard, would lead the Builders with 25 points. Bates would also make 17-19 from the line and 9-10 in overtime. She would get plenty of help from her teammates. Bryan would make 16 points for the night and Jordyn Cossman, junior guard, would be close behind with 14 points.

Denly said, “I thank gosh we won, but we will go back and look at tape to make sure we don’t make small mistakes again. We hope everyone comes and supports us Saturday against McPherson. We really appreciate the support we get, and we hope to bring Lady Builder Basketball to the court on Saturday.”

The Builder’s next game will take place at Stewart Field House Feb. 5 at 5 p.m against the McPherson Lady Bulldogs.

Erica Dunigan is a junior majoring in convergent journalism. You may e-mail her at erica.dunigan@sckans.edu