By Paige Carswell

The women’s basketball team started out ahead of the Bethany Swedes Saturday evening and never looked back. The Lady Builders stayed on top the entire game, finishing 77-54 over the Bethany women.

The women scored 15 straight points in the first half with no answer from the Lady Swedes, putting them up 30-8. Jordan Jarnagin, senior guard, started the run with a three-point shot. She had 10 points in the first half to help lead the women to a 43-24 lead going into the locker room.

Defensive pressure caused Bethany to take rushed shots in the first half, forcing 18 first-half turnovers. The Lady Swedes wouldn’t slow down until the second half, when they brought the score within 15 points of the Builders but just couldn’t catch up enough.

The women were again led by Jasmine Manuel, junior guard, with 16 points. Catherine Haikin, sophomore guard, had 13 points and Jarnagin ended with 11. They outrebounded Bethany 50-35, had 11 steals and shot 40 percent from the field.

The women will host Kansas Wesleyan University Thursday. KWU is currently ranked 24th in the National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics and is tied with Southwestern for second place in the conference. Tipoff is at 6 p.m. in Stewart Field House.

Paige Carswell is a junior majoring in journalism. You may e-mail her at paige.carswell@sckans.edu.