By Lacie Holbert

Soccer season is officially over for the women’s team. The Lady Builders lost 1-0 to McPherson Nov. 6 in the first round of the quarterfinal tournament. McPherson scored off of a penalty kick in the first half of the game.

Kelli Florio, sophomore midfielder, said, “We played tough and never gave up. We allowed an unfortunate goal in the first half on a penalty kick, which we never got back. We had chances, but didn’t take advantage of them. Our coaches said after the first half, if you don’t get any shots on goal then you can’t win a game and we did not get many shots on goal. They were a very beatable team, but we came out short. A lot of our players felt like we could have gone into overtime with them and come out on top. We played with a lot of heart, but unfortunately it just wasn’t our day.”

Alex Hopson, sophomore forward, said, “The game could have gone either way. It all came down to who wanted it more and unfortunately they pulled it out.”

The women’s team has a season record of being 7-9-1 before the quarterfinal tournament. The team finished No. 6 in the overall conference rankings. This season record marked the first time since 2005 to attend the quarterfinal tournament and the most conference wins since 2004. Two members of the Lady Builder soccer team have been given honors. Lindsey Webb, freshman, was named second team all conference and Nicole Mound, freshman, was named honorable mention.

Florio said, “This season was certainly interesting. To start out 4-0 in conference is a big deal and we had a lot of fun doing it. But we also ended the season on a losing streak which wasn’t fun. We experienced both ends of the spectrum, which I think made us a better team. We were young and had several injuries to overcome throughout the season, but we worked hard and had great chemistry. The biggest thing we need to work on is consistency both individually and as a team. There is always a lot to improve on during off season and we intend to do that.”

The Lady Builders will lose two members of their team, Kerry Sonnenburg and Rene Schwan.

Florio said, “I’m definitely excited about next season. Everyone will have a little more experience and were only losing two seniors. Hopefully Coach Wood can recruit some more solid players and we can continue to improve as a team. We obviously surprised a lot of people this year starting out 4-0, but we don’t want that for next season. We are going to strive to be one of the teams to beat, to play consistently and make it further into post season.”

Hopson said, “I am looking forward to next season. We are young and were growing together which in the long run will be good. I think if we continue to grow as a team we will be even more successful next season.”

Lacie Holbert is a sophomore majoring in convergent journalism. You may e-mail her at lacie.holbert@sckans.edu.