By Taylor Forrest

The small room was brimming with dull, yellow chairs that looked as if they had not been sat in for years. An American flag sat in one corner, while a piano sat in another. The room was a snapshot straight out of an old 80’s movie that contained just the right amount of dignity and relic.

Despite looking ancient in years, new things are evolving in this room all the time. The Winfield City Commission met at 5:30 p.m. Oct. 6 in this mature room located in Winfield City Hall to carry out official business.

Mayor Merrill Gordon opened the meeting with a proclamation that stated that the week of October 5 is Fire Prevention Week. The proclamation encourages every individual with a home to make sure they have a functioning fire alarm. Along with that, it also emphasizes the need for an emergency fire escape plan.

Members from the Winfield Fire Department were present to accept the proclamation and shared that they will be attending all public schools in Winfield to talk to them about fire safety.

The meeting later moved on to resolutions. The commission voted on the demolition and removal of an apartment building and a house located on the lots at 1510 Menor St. The structures were found unfit for human habitation and were a looming concern for the surrounding neighborhood.

The owners were properly contacted, yet never responded to any attempts made to reach them. A public hearing was held March, 2014 to push the demolition forward. The commission decided to hire Lawrence Crushed Stone to take on the responsibility of the removal of the structures. Lawrence Crushed Stone will be demolishing the structures in the near future for $15,950, to be made in one payment.

Taylor Forrest is a freshman majoring in communication. You may email her at taylor.forrest@sckans.edu.