By Bria Boykins

For the incoming freshman and transfer students who are unaware of the location of the Wellness Center, it is located between the Student Life Center and the mailroom in Roy L. Smith Center. If students ever need assistance on anything, Mary Ann Smith, wellness coordinator, is the person to talk to. The Wellness Center hours are 12:00 to 1:15 p.m., on Mondays, Tuesdays, and Thursdays. Smith also works full time for Douglas County Citizens Committee on Alcoholism. Any student can stop by during that time and chat. The meetings are free, confidential, and no insurance is required.

The Wellness Center also has other helpers such as Dan Falk, dean of students, and Sarah Hallinan, director of Residence Life. Their offices are located in the Student Life Center on the second floor of Sutton Hall.
“The Wellness Center offers students a place of comfort and safety,” said Falk

Hallinan said, “Students come to the Wellness Center about personal problems and maybe if they have questions about a medical problem, Mary Ann can refer the student to a professional.”

Smith said the Wellness Center meets with students to assist in problem solving and makes referrals to community/private agencies as needed or upon request. “The wellness coordinator serves as a liaison between school, family and community resource to assist in alleviating barriers to learning” said Smith.

If students need help, a couple things they can do is contact the wellness coordinator directly; maryann.smith@sckans.edu, text or call 620-222-4311 to schedule an appointment. Students can also go to the Student Life Office for Smith’s contact information, to their professor or their residence assistant. All aid is free and your information is kept confidential.

Bria Boykins is a freshman majoring in communication. You may e-mail her at bria.boykins@sckans.edu.