It isn’t always easy thawing out from a winter break and coming back to compete for the spring season, but the men’s and women’s golf team are up to the challenge. “It is kind of a rough feel to come back after a long break,” said Kenneth Wright, business administration senior. “It is hard to get out there and perform at your best level without any practice. You just kind of go out there and try to perform at your best.”

Kaydee Johnson, business administration junior, agrees. “It is hard because we haven’t competed in a while and we play a lot of teams that have had the opportunity to practice all winter.”

The men’s golf team traveled to Bethany College Monday for the Swede Invitational. It was just the second tournament since the spring season began Feb. 15. After the first day of competition the men sit in first place. “I thought as a team we played okay,” said Brad Sexson, head golf coach. “Personally, I thought we left a lot on the golf course. Kenneth tied for first place with a 72.”

“The weather today made the conditions even harder when the course was already not in that great of shape,” said Wright. It was a bit of a struggle, but overall it wasn’t bad. We just got to go out there and perform to the best of our ability.”

The men travelled back to Bethany today for the second round of action.

After the conclusion of the Swede Invitational, the men travel to Texas Wesleyan University to compete in the UST Texas Intercollegiate tournament March 14. The tournament is at Hawks Creek Golf Course in Ft. Worth, Texas. “It is hard to prepare for a big meet like Texas,” said Wright. “It will be tough with the short week ahead and the weather conditions.”

Sexson is optimistic about his team’s ability. “We have to make sure we just do the little things right, that is the key,” said Sexson. “We have a deep and talented team, but we need to work on the short game and the putting.”

Three women are competing individually this season. “It will be a little different because we do not have a full team,” said Johnson. “To have a full team you need four members and because we had one player leave last semester, we only have three now.” Johnson, Courtney Huppert, business administration sophomore, and Laken Campbell, athletic training freshman, make up the women’s team. The lack of numbers means that the women will be scored individually instead of as a team.

“Laken has made solid improvements,” said Johnson. “Even without much practice she played much better. A lot of how we play cringes on good weather for practicing.”

The next meet for the women is their home tournament, which will take place on March 22 at Quail Ridge Golf Course just south of Winfield. “Typically we play really well at our home tournament,” said Johnson.