Sports editor

William Tisdale, sophomore forward, dribbles the ball down the line on a fast break. Tisdale ended the night with six points and seven rebounds. (Angel Vadillo/Collegian photographer)

The Builders continue in a season descent as the lost their fourth straight game 76-59 to Sterling. The Warriors arrived at Stewart Field House hungry for the victory. It was an intense game for 37 minutes until the Warriors took a 17-point lead with three minutes remaining.

Cameron Clark, freshman forward, placed 18 points for the Builders. The 6-foot-3 forward from Lewisville, Texas, rebounded 11 times. He scored six field goals and a single 3-pointer. “We just need to work on our defense for all 40 minutes. Shots are eventually going to fall, but we have to play defense 40 minutes, not only 20 or 30,” said Clark.

William Tisdale, sophomore forward, won the jump ball. Tisdale scored the first basket in the game.

The Builders leaded the game nine minutes in the first half 11-7. Eight minutes later, the Warriors turned the score 20-19. Both teams finished hard the first half and went to the locker rooms tied with 28 points.

The second half started with a 5-0 run for the Warriors. This quick start for the Warriors was going to be the key for their victory. The Builders came out of the lockers calmed allowing the Warriors to crawl up in the scoreboard.

“We learned we have to play a complete game,” said Alex Tyler, junior guard. Tyler followed Clark in the top scorers with nine points. “We have to finish the plays every time and be physical.”

Ten minutes in the second half, the Builders were back to the game two points beneath the Warriors. The Warriors scored three back-to-back baskets extending their lead by 10 points with five minutes remaining.

From that point on, the Builders did not catch the Warriors. Sterling kept scoring making a 17-point lead with three minutes for the final buzzer. The final field goal for the game was a dunk by Sterling.

“We need to play better transition defense,” said Matt O’Brien, head men’s basketball coach. “I am really proud of my team, and we just need to build our momentum of how hard we play and how well they play together.”

The Builders are standing 5-7 in the Kansas Collegiate Athletic Conference and 14-9 overall. They are placed fifth in the conference table. The Builders will travel to McPherson on Jan. 31 to face the Bulldogs. McPherson stands 3-9 in the conference.

Angel Vadillo is a sophomore majoring in communication. You may e-mail him at angel.vadillo@sckans.edu.