It starts at an early age in life and continues to grow as we get older. Is it good enough to be satisfied with what you have? If so then why do we constantly see ourselves wanting things we can’t have? How many times do you see parents bribing their children with toys or other goods? Target, Walmart or Toys “R” Us is where the “want” tends to start as an early child. Some parents bribe children on different occasions. As the years go by, it gets worse. The wanting gets bigger, especially with new gadgets and technology. We see something new on television and we assume we must have it.

A want and a need can be defined with two different definitions, or in some cases, can have no difference depending on how we look at them. In today’s world, it’s very easy to confuse the two because we tend to mix them together to get what we like.

With the holidays around the corner, the wanting multiplies.  It’s sad to see the greediness side of someone, especially during the Christmas season.  We tend to forget that the holidays are about spending time with family and being thankful for everything we do have. Yes, it’s nice to receive gifts on Christmas morning, but sometimes we tend to forget that it’s the thought behind the gift versus how many times we asked our parents for it.

A good example of wanting is Black Friday. People tend to go crazy. Not everyone is greedy, but more and more people are getting to be that way everyday.

Black Friday features good sales. People can purchase things at very low costs, which is great. But fighting over items and having people get hurt or even killed over some toy or an electronic device is insane. What does this teach our kids?

It all starts at an early age. What are these kids going to do when they get out in the real world and have to work? They may not always get or receive everything they want. One day they will have bills to pay or a family to raise and it will all start again.

People take things for granted and don’t appreciate the little things in life. We need to be thankful for everything we have and for the different opportunities we get to experience.

It’s sad to see kids throwing fits in department stores over things they want or say they “need.” Working hard for something is really rewarding in the long run and is something our world needs to help teach future generations.  People go to the mall to buy things, but are they ever satisfied with the quality of their purchase? Our society tends to focus on outdoing others. Does it matter if the item is similar or the same? We are constantly buying expensive things that we know we will probably never use. People put a huge emphasis on brand names rather than the quality of an item and that is where children pick it up. We want to have the more expensive brand names, because that is the “in thing” or because some high profile celebrity wears it. This is where we are going wrong.

There’s always going to be something we want and that’s life. But the way we go about getting it can be helped. People need to wake up and realize this problem. As we get older, our younger generations will grow up and follow in our footsteps. It may not seem like a big deal, but it’s one that is happening everyday and everywhere we turn. It is something that is going to be extremely hard to fix. One way to resolve the problem is to be less greedy when asking for something this holiday season. We tend to get mad or upset when we don’t get that special something we want or asked for. We need to realize that life does not always give us what we want, and we need to be grateful for what we have.

Lacie Holbert is a sophomore majoring in convergent journalism. You may e-mail her at lacie.holbert@sckans.edu.