By Samantha Gillis

With six conference matches to go in the season the volleyball team has time to work out the kinks. The women are currently 3-9 in the conference and placed No. 9.

Their next match is at 2 p.m. Oct. 24, at Stewart Field house, against Bethel College.

“Our biggest challenge for the rest of the season is going to be Bethel,”Kara Robeson, senior middle blocker said. Bethel is currently 9-1 in conference and 12-10 overall. They are placed second in the conference rankings.

“There is no team in conference that is way better than another. That is why you have to come out playing hard every night,” said Laura Fobes, junior defensive specialist.

They were defeated in all three of their away games last week. They lost to Friends University 0-3 Oct. 12, 1-3 to Tabor College Oct. 14 and 2-3 to Ottawa University Oct. 17.

The losing scores didn’t show the improvements made from the last time the Builders saw the three teams in September, according to head coach Cori Meyer-Broddle. The women were down 0-5 in game one against Tabor, then fought back to tie it up. From there, the two teams alternated game-point serves as they volleyed back and forth. “We did end up losing but fought the whole way,” said Meyer-Broddle. Tabor took the game 32-30. The next two games the girls were neck-and-neck with the No.1 team in conference.

Fobes knows the reason why they couldn’t snatch a win against the three teams. She said that the mental game needs to be improved on. “It’s the little things, like a dropped ball right in front of us,” she said.

Robeson, said, “That (mental errors) is something Cori can’t coach us on. As a team we need to give each other moral support when another teammate is struggling.”

Mental errors were the problem against Ottawa as well, said Meyer-Broddle.

“It’s frustrating because we are so close to coming through with a win,” Fobes said.  

However, there were three players who stood out in the game against Ottawa. “Caitlin Smith had a great game and also two players that haven’t had much play time, Erin Morton and Kirstin Keller, played really well,” Meyer-Broddle said.

Nonetheless, Meyer-Broddle has confidence her team can pull it all together. She is going to make a few adjustments in practice. “We will just challenge them a little more in practice. Most drills will be competitive with consequences for losing,” Meyer-Broddle said.

They played at home against No. 6 Bethany College Oct. 20. Scores were not available before press time.

Samantha Gillis is a junior majoring in convergent journalism. You may e-mail her at samantha.gillis@sckans.edu.