Kacey Stout

This 2014 season has brought on a fresh batch of coaches who bring energy to the Southwestern volleyball team. The head coach is Carolina Garbato, but on the court her alias is Coach Gabby. Giving her support this year is assistant coach Chris Weather who initially was going to save lives by attending nursing school, but has come to Southwestern’s rescue.

Coach Gabby was recruited from Brazil to play at Oral Roberts University in Oklahoma as a libero. The libero is the one who wears the off colored jersey to signify they only play defense. She was influenced to coach by her previous coaches.

“I made a journal of Do’s & Don’ts of my previous coaches because I didn’t always agree with everything they may have taught,” said Coach Gabby, head volleyball coach.

Coach Gabby’s goal for this upcoming season is to create better individuals as well as players.

“It’s not just about volleyball,” said Coach Gabby.

Coach Weather is the assistant coach for the 2014 season and will be his first coaching experience. Coach Weather played at Seton Hall University and was a libero. His predictions for the 2014 season is to get a couple girls in the top 15, coming together as a unit, having fun, and making the conference tournament.

“Our girls work hard and strive to get better every day,” said Coach Weather assistant volleyball coach.

The new Southwestern volleyball coaching staff will be a great asset to a promising season.

Stout is a junior majoring in communication. You may email him at kacey.stout@sckans.edu