By Kasey Stout and Sam Jones
Staff reporters

To kick off the College of St. Mary tournament in Omaha, Neb. the Lady Builder volleyball first battled the Hornets of Harris-Stowe State University out of St. Louis, Mo. prevailing 3-0 (25-11, 25-17, 25-18) in the match. Hanna House, sophomore middle-blocker, had a season high of 10 kills.

“Hanna and Brittaney played very well adding a total of 14 kills for the team. As a team we still need to make improvements putting the ball down” said Carolina Garbato, head volleyball coach.

The Lady Builders could not celebrate for too long due to a second match shortly after.

Chris Weathers, assistant volleyball coach, said,” I was very proud of our team for putting up a great fight against Bellevue.”

Lady builder volleyball lost their well fought match 3-0 (25-17, 25-13, 25-19) to the Bellevue Bruins from Bellevue, Neb. in their second game.

“We had shining moments where we had outstanding plays but didn’t string together to pull off more wins. But that will come,” said Sarah Loesing, junior outside-hitter.

The Lady Builders went 1-1 splitting the tournament start on Friday.

On Sept 13, the Southwestern College women’s volleyball team had to face Valley City State University Vikings at 9 a.m. followed by Dakota State University Trojans at 1 p.m.

The Lady Builders opened their account against the Vikings, going down in the first two sets 16-25 and 13-25, before clawing back the third set winning 30-28, taking the score to 2-1.

The excitement was fleeting however, as they went down in the fourth and final set, 25-15.

“We started strong, but failed to close the game. We fought hard,” said Coach Garbato.

Sarah Loesing, junior outside-hitter, led by example, notching 6 kills and 18 digs. She was matched by fellow junior, Brittaney Craddock, also with 6 kills, whilst freshman, Carly Matthews scored 18 digs. Abby Warnke, sophomore, scored 5 kills.

The team scored a total 27 kills from 149 attempts, while making 27 errors in the process.

“We struggled with hitting around the block in the game today,” said Craddock, junior outside hitter.

Southwestern didn’t let that match get to them as they stepped up and improved against the Trojans.

“We didn’t really step up to where we needed to be until the last game,” said Coach Garbato.

The Lady Builders followed a first set 18-25 loss, by pushing the Trojans to 23-25; narrowly losing the second. The third set resulted in a 26-28 loss, ending the Builders’ day.

Craddock stepped up to provide 14 kills as well as 10 digs.

“Brittaney Craddock has been improving on a daily basis. She finished the last game today with 14 kills and has really stepped up,” said Coach Garbato.

Matthews and Loesing also added 10 digs each, whilst Ashton Isch, junior outside-hitter added 6 kills.

The team total improved to 31 kills from 115 attempts, making 27 errors.

“We fought really hard, but just played really tough teams,” said Kelsey Parker, freshman setter.

“It prepares us a little better for what’s to come which are conference games,” said Coach Garbato on how what the Lady Builders will take from these games. “We play Kansas Wesleyan on Wednesday night. They’re a very strong team. I think the tournament prepares us better for the upcoming conference games and the rest of the season.”

Kacey Stout is a junior majoring in communication. You may email him at kacey.stout@sckans.edu

Sam Jones is a freshman majoring in Communications. You may email him at samuel.jones@sckans.edu