By Kylie Stamper

In the second away game of the season, the Southwestern volleyball team took a 3-2 loss against the McPherson bulldogs. Wednesday’s game was also the first five-set match of the season.

Brittaney Craddock, junior outside hitter, took the lead with 24 digs, Sarah Loesing, junior outside hitter, led the team with 14 kills in the game, and Rachel Vieyra, sophomore setter, had 34 total assists.

McPherson established an early lead and stuck with it for the remainder of the game winning the first set 25-17. Southwestern fought back and won the second set 25-22.

McPherson claimed the lead in the third set with a score of 25-17. The Builders bounced back and, with help from Rhian Hunter, sophomore defensive setter, Hanna House, sophomore middle, and Loesing took the fourth set win at 25-19.

The back-and-forth wins were put to a stop in the fifth set when the Bulldogs claimed a 15-10 victory.

The Lady Builders currently stand with a record of 1-4 for the season. In KCAC, SC stands at 0-3.

Through the triumphs and trials of uncertainty, the team managed to get through it with a confident mindset. Craddock said, “I think we did a really good job at staying positive the entire time.”

The next game will take place at 3 p.m. on Sept. 12 in Omaha, NE as a part of a two-day tournament. They will play Harris-Stowe and Bellevue on Sept. 12 and Valley City State and Dakota State on Sept. 13.

Kylie Stamper is a sophomore majoring in communication. You can email her at kylie.stamper@sckans.edu