By Erik Johnson

The Lady Builders traveled to Manhattan Sept. 6 to battle against the Manhattan Christian Lady Crusaders. The Lady Builders were riding on a two game win streak with wins over Barclay College and Central Christian. The Lady Crusaders, on the other hand, were on a one game losing streak. The Lady Builders battled hard for four sets, but ended up getting handed their first loss of the season.

When asked how she felt about the teams overall play, Kindell Copeland, senior setter, replied, “We didn’t start the first couple of sets with much energy but by the third set we had found it.” She also said, “We also underestimated Manhattan Christian. They were a better team than we thought.”

With a new head coach, many would consider this a rebuilding season, thinking the team would have to adjust with the coach’s new philosophy and playing style. Copeland disagrees. “I wouldn’t consider this as a rebuilding season at all. We only replaced one player and the team chemistry is still there. We’ve adjusted very well to Coach Wallace in my opinion, so this isn’t a rebuilding season at all,” said Copeland.

The Lady Builders look to rebound off their first loss and building on their early success.

Southwestern’s next game will take place at home at 11 a.m. Sept. 10 against Missouri Valley College.

Erik Johnson is a freshman majoring in communication. You may email him at erik.johnson@sckans.edu.