Pictured above: Abby Warnke, senior middle hitter, reaches to place a hit against Mid-America Christian. (Staff photographer/Kylie Stamper)

This week our Lady Builders opened up conference play against nationally ranked Ottawa and they looked to carry their success throughout the preseason into their 2016-2017 season.

Freshman player Katy Murrish said going into the first game “I just kept thinking about the hitters we needed to stop and that communication needs to be key.”

As the game started it looked promising for the builder women, as they got off to a fast start. They matched their opponent point for point early on. It slowly turned into a game of runs. Ottawa took a commanding lead in the second and third matches.

“Our back row had an amazing night” Murrish said.

But it wasn’t enough for the Builders to pull a win.

“We matched them the whole game but sometimes the other team executes more than the other,” said Caroline Garbato, head coach.

Murrish still believes they can accomplish their goal of hosting a conference game and going to nationals.  Murrish hopes that all of SC is behind them supporting them in their next game.

The team will be playing at noon on Saturday, Sept 3, in Salina against Benedictine.

Kenyatta Sewell is a freshman majoring in communication. You may email him at Kenyatta.sewell@sckans.edu.