By Kacey Stout

It was a great turn out as the stands filled with fans as the Lady Builders take on the McPherson College Bulldogs. The Lady Builders put up a great fight in the first set and had some nail biting defensive saves, but fell short losing the conference opener 3-0.

The first set ended 25-20 for the Lady Bulldogs.

“We executed on offense even better than last game I thought,” said Donnie Wallace, head volleyball coach,” We just can’t dig ourselves into those holes where they are hard to come back from.”

For the second set, the Bulldogs had a solid serving streak from Tori Phelan that put the Lady Builders behind by nine points leaving the score 3-12. Then answering back Lady Builders came within eight making the score 15-23 when the Bulldogs called a timeout. This froze the momentum for the Lady Builders giving McPherson an edge pulling out the win for the second set 25-16.

“We played aggressive and our scrappy defense helped us, but we do need to work on setting our blocks and ball placement for our hitters,” said Eden Denney, assistant volleyball coach.

The Lady Builders came out strong playing some solid defense and offense. Sarah Loesing, outside hitter sophomore, had a diving dig that put the Lady Builders within three points of McPherson 19-22.

McPherson again called a timeout to stop the Lady Builders momentum and took advantage. McPherson ended up sealing the third and final set 25-22.

“If we get rid of the mistakes on our end like missed serves, hitting errors, or bad passes we can easily win those close games,” said Adrienne Vieyra senior middle blocker.

It was a close game for sure but the Lady Builders will have to set their eyes next on Oklahoma Wesleyan. They will play Oklahoma Wesleyan Sept. 14 at 4:00 p.m. at Bartlesville, Okla.

Kacey Stout is a junior majoring in communication. You may email him at kacey.stout@sckans.edu