Abby Warnke, freshman right side, jumps to block the ball against the Swedes. Jacqueline Erlanson, sophomore setter,and Blaire Miller, sophomore middle, observe Warnke. The Lady Builders snapped their first win in the conference 3-2. (Angel Vadillo/Collegian photographer)

By Kacey Stout

Lady Builders dug deep and won in 5 grueling sets (21-25, 27-25, 22-25, 25-23, 15-10) against Bethany College. Offensively the Lady Builders accumulated 52 kills on 194 attempts to battle back and pull out a victory.

Donnie Wallace, head volleyball coach said,” It was an extremely hard fought match and Bethany was really scrappy. We earned every point we got.”

According to Wallace the turning point came in the 4 set when the Lady Builders were down 23-21 and Bethany had the Lady Builders cornered about to shut the door to polish the final set. The Lady Builders fought back and grinded out a victory to have a 5th final set which ended in the Lady Builders favor.

Along with Coach Wallace, assistant volleyball coach Eden Denney, was pleased with the Lady Builder’s performance.

“Tonight the girls just went all out and left it all on the court, “said Denney,” Just flat out played with no excuses.”

With the triumphant win over Bethany, the Lady Builders will be traveling for their next match against Bethel College in North Newton Sept. 28 at 2:00 pm.

Kacey Stout is a junior majoring in communication. You may email him at kacey.stout@sckans.edu