ABOVE: Cierra Harrison, freshman outside hitter, and Elizabeth Borgelt, freshman middle hitter, go to block an opponent kill attempt. The Lady Builders hosted a triangular with the Bethel Threshers and the McPherson Bulldogs. (RJay McCoy/Staff photographer)

By Joshua Eibl

On March 13, the volleyball team dropped their game against Bethel by a final score of 1 set to 3 with scores 20-25, 25-21, 21-25 and 17-25.

Before the two teams’ meeting, Bethel faced Avila, winning 3-0, and the Builders played Sterling losing with a set score of 3-2.

The matchup started with the Builders losing the first set with a score of 20-25. Later on in the set, the dominance of the Builders got stronger. Stats for the first set were close when looking at both teams with 14-13 total kills and 8-4 errors for the Builders.

“We need to pick up our serving consistency because that’s something we’re usually really good at,” said Tim Alaniz, assistant volleyball coach.

“Our service was not as tough as we’re capable of, and we made a few too many serving errors,” said Alaniz. 

With the Builders losing the first set, the second set was intense, with Southwestern pulling away to win set two 25-21. The Builders and Threshers stayed neck and neck for the set until the Moundbuilders pulled away to win the set with a kill by Sydney Morris (freshman outside hitter).

The game was highlighted by Sydney Morris, Faith Smith, freshman middle hitter, and Elizabeth Borgelt, freshman middle hitter, with 36 kills.

Bethel came out hot for set three and ended up winning another tight set with a match point score of 25-21. Southwestern kept up the kills in the set, having 16 but had more errors than Bethel.

“We also need to clean up our offense and need to make better decisions based on in which offensive situation we’re in,” said Alaniz.

According to Sophia Wicker, freshman defensive specialist, they struggled with some little things like communication, serving, and energy.

Wicker lead the team in digs with 17.

Going into the fourth set, the Builders had their backs against the wall.

Being up 2-1, the Threshers took advantage of the lead and went on a run to break away from the Builders to win the match. The Builders have a record of 7-18 overall and 7-11 in KCAC play.

Alaniz said, “We didn’t expect them to be quite as good of a blocking team and our reaction to them being a better defensive team was a little bit poor.”

Wicker said, “This was a good game to learn from, and hopefully, we will bring more energy, tough serves, and drive in the next game.”