Phil Schmidt, professor of history, died at Wesley Medical Center in Wichita the morning of April 4, 2014.

Philip R. “Phil” Schmidt, PhD, 72, of Winfield, died April 4, 2014, in Wichita.

Services will be 2:30 p.m. Wednesday at First Baptist Church.

Visitation will be from 2 to 6 p.m. today at Swisher-Taylor & Morris Funeral Home. Southwestern College will hold an on-campus memorial service at 4 p.m. Friday in Richardson Performing Arts Center.

Memorials have been established with the First Baptist Church of Winfield and Southwestern College. Contributions may be made at the church or funeral home.

Condolences may be emailed tofuneraldirector@stmfh.com.

Phil was born July 9, 1941, in Detroit, Mich., to John and Marjorie Schmidt. He graduated from Central High School in Peoria, Ill., in 1959 as one of the valedictorians. He attended Ottawa University, graduating in 1963 at the top in his class. Phil continued his education, eventually earning his doctorate in history and anthropology in 1974 from the University of Kansas. He was also named to Phi Beta Kappa.

Phil married Phyllis Shank on Aug. 3, 1963, in Scott City. The couple moved to Winfield in 1967.

Phil was a teaching assistant at the University of Kansas during graduate school. He joined the faculty at Southwestern College in 1967 and was a professor until his death.

Phil was a member of the First Baptist Church of Winfield, where he chaired two pulpit committees and was a longtime Sunday school teacher and choir member.

Phil’s extensive community service included the community oversight committee of Winfield State Hospital & Training Center, the board of the Community Learning Center, past chair of the Cowley County Republican Party and several roles in the American Baptist Churches Central Region.

Respected in his field, Phil was the Southwestern College liaison to the Chicago Center; past social sciences division chair; sponsor of Pi Gamma Mu; and a member of numerous committees and task forces. He received the Kopke Award for Excellence in Teaching from Southwestern College in 2008.

Phil was preceded in death by his parents.

Survivors include his wife, Phyllis Schmidt, of the home; brother, Dana Schmidt, Orlando, Fla.; daughters, Amy Schmidt, Arkansas City, and Allyson Allen, and husband, Kelly Allen, Winfield; and four granddaughters.