By Will Rosson

A 12-year-old boy is being tortured at school. His parents are recently divorced. He is the perfect example of what kids would call a “loser.” The only thing that makes him happy is his new best friend Abby. Little does he know that she is a blood thirsty vampire, in the new DVD release of “Let Me In.”

For those who find the whole vampire love story genre of movies interesting, this movie will warm your heart. For those who desire horror in their vampire movies, this film is one of the best in years. A perfect vampire movie has finally been made.

The movie captures all of the intense, horrific, dramatic, and love scenes of the story perfectly thanks to some brilliant acting and great directing. Not only is the movie visually stunning, but the soundtrack for the film helps perfect each scene.

The movie, directed by Christian E. Christiansen, is based off the Swedish film “Let the Right One In,” and the novel of the same name written by John Ajvide Lindqvist. The film received great reviews during its theater release, and was named one of the best films of 2010 by CNN and MSN entertainment.

Acclaimed author Stephen King loved the film. “‘Let Me In’ is a genre-busting triumph. Not just a horror film, but the best American horror film in the last 20 years,” said King.

The movie takes place in 1983, and begins with a mysterious man being rushed to the hospital in the middle of the night with severe burns. Then we are taken back two weeks before that event to watch what led to that moment. 12-year-old Owen (Kodi Smit-McPhee) is going through a rough period of his life. His parents are recently divorced, and argue non stop. One of the scariest characters in the film isn’t a vampire, but is Owen’s bully. Some of the scariest scenes of the movie come from the real life look of being violently bullied in school. Not to mention going through puberty is rough enough for a boy. Then a mysterious father (Richard Jenkins) and his daughter Abby (Chloë Grace Moretz) move in next door to Owen at his apartment complex. Owen and Abby form a complicated relationship. Neither have had a real friend before, but it becomes clear that this may be more than just friends. Owen soon learns that his new best friend/girlfriend isn’t what she seems. She is a blood-sucking vampire, who has been killing innocent people with the man who posses as her father. Then a detective narrows down his list of suspects to the murders in the area and is on to Abby’s father. Owen is caught up in so much at once, but will do anything he can to keep himself and Abby happy.

“Let Me In,” is a must rent DVD or Blu-ray. For vampire, horror, or independent film buffs, this is a movie that needs to be in your collection. You won’t be disappointed buying this movie. The camera work is brilliant. The acting is believable, and the story is told perfectly with a mix of art, horror, romance, and thrill. There is no excuse to not go out and purchase this movie tonight.

Will Rosson is a senior majoring in communication. You may email him at will.rosson@sckans.edu.

Edited by Carly Budd.