By Morgan Givney

Valerie Bland, nursing senior, examines the middle ear of one of her classmates. Bland has always been interested in the health care field. (Min Jiao/Collegian photographer)

Valerie Bland found a way to connect her favorite television shows ‘Grey’s Anatomy’ and ‘SVU’ with her future interests. “I’ve always been interested in the health field because I want to help people, especially little kids,” said Bland.

Bland chose Southwestern because of the interest shown in her. She was told during the interviewing process that the nursing program was being cut and her class would be the last to graduate with a nursing degree from Southwestern. “I chose SC because WSU didn’t act interested in me. I chose to stay because we would be the last class and I would get my education anyway.”

“They told us when we were being interviewed [that the program would not continue]. The bomb was dropped on the seniors last year, not on us. During our interview to get into the program they told us ‘you will be our last graduating class’ so it wasn’t devastating to us like it was others,” said Bland.

Bland believes she received the same caliber of education as previous graduates. “If not as good, we’ve received better since our class is so small. It’s more one-on-one. We don’t get forgotten and it’s easier to cover more information,” said Bland.

Bland recalls the most exciting moment of her studies while she was working a clinical. “A guy committed suicide and I had to keep his body alive for organ transplant. I was constantly monitoring his organs so they wouldn’t fail.”

Bland hopes her future includes an exciting job that will keep her on her toes. “In 10 years I see myself maybe on a pediatric unit. I at least want to be in a hospital, not a clinic setting. Or I want to have interesting patients like on an Indian reservation,” said Bland.

Morgan Givney is a junior majoring in communication. You may e-mail her at morgan.givney@sckans.edu.