By Samantha Gillis

If the barn is a rocking on Feb. 14 and you find yourself knocking on the door—than you have missed out. Leadership has organizing a new fundraiser called Roses in the Rafters, which so far has received a positive reaction from the community, since there are only 28 tickets left.

Roses in the Rafters is a Valentine’s dinner and silent auction at 6 p.m. on Valentine’s Day at The Barns at Timber Creek. There will be a three course meal with authentic foods from Spain, Italy and Greece, music, dancing and a silent auction. Belinda Hoskinson, owner of College Hill Coffee, will cater the event and the SC Jazz Combo will provide the melody for the guests to groove to.

Each seat is $35, or $250 for a table of eight.

Jacob McGuire, philosophy & religious studies junior and Scott Rethorst, computer science junior, have been planning the event since school started.
Rethorst said, “There is a lot that goes into planning a new fundraiser.” The team has experienced a couple bumps but nothing major Rethorst said. Since the proceeds will go towards helping students pay for their service learning trip in Europe, Rethorst and McGuire decided the food should be inspired by the three places the team will be traveling—Spain, Italy and Greece.

Since it was the first time either of them had planned a gala they looked to Kaydee Johnson, business marketing senior, for advice. Johnson has planned two galas for the William Newton Health Care Foundation. She suggested the silent auction idea. Johnson said, “I suggested it to them, because having help plan two formal gala events in this community I understand you can make more funds off the auction items then the ticket sales.” But Johnson said, the tough part is getting the right auction items, items people will bid on. Some items for the silent auction are still in the works but one item up for bid will be two tickets to a Kansas University vs. Colorado University basketball game.

Another large aspect of the event McGuire said is the atmosphere—the music especially.

McGuire has been working with the SC Jazz Combo to set the right tone. The band is usually made up of students—but since the students will be practicing for “Chicago” Jimmy Leech, assistant professor of music, and McGuire realized the students would not have enough time to practice for Roses in the Rafters. They decided it would be best if faculty and community members performed in the place of the students. McGuire said, “I think the SC

Jazz Combo is going to sound great, they are going to play longer than originally expected and once people start dancing it will be a really create fun atmosphere.”

Leadership members will help serve, set-up and clean-up. Rethorst said, “Team members will be able to earn money for the trip by helping out before, after or during the event.” Some students raised a large portion from the fundraising last semester such as apple pie sales, garage sale, and fall cleaning, but Rethorst said some still have not earned enough.

Both McGuire and Rethorst hope the event will create a positive reaction. McGuire said, “Whether it is because of the Leadership charm, the elegant simplicity, the band and dancing, or the great food from College Hill Coffee this event is one I hope to see stay a part of the Leadership program for many years.”

The deadline to reserve a seat for Roses in the Rafters has been extended to Feb. 7. For comments, questions or to reserve a seat e-mail lindsay.wilke@sckans.edu or call (620) 229-6393.

Samantha is a senior majoring in convergent journalism. You may e-mail her at samantha.gillis@sckans.edu.