By Jonathan Woon

Students have become accustomed to the term “chamber music” because the music department has hosted chamber recitals frequently over the past few years.

However, not everyone comprehends chamber music; its style, history and musical form. Ensemble size and the roles of each musician makes chamber music audibly distinct.

“Chamber music is usually performed by a group of musicians which is relatively small in size,” said Melissa Williamson, instructor of music & flute. She also said that in most cases, chamber music ensembles usually play without a conductor. “This is different from a large ensemble where several people would be playing similar parts and be directed by a conductor.”

Another noticeable difference in chamber music is that most musicians will have a solo part in each song. Williamson said, “For example, a trio will have three different musical parts and one musician would be assigned to a part they play independently.”

Although chamber music is traditionally referred to as an instrumental group, the modern scenario has changed the cliché. “Chamber music is a term that is typically referencing instrumental groups. For example, a string quartet. However there are also vocalists that do chamber music these days,” said Williamson.

Elizabeth Hill, elementary education senior, is an example of a vocalist who does chamber music. She will be singing with the SC Singers in a chamber music recital at 7.30 p.m.  April 19, in Messenger Recital Hall. Hill said, “I feel honored that they would ask SC Singers to be a part of this concert and I look forward to performing alongside other wonderful musicians.”

SC Singers will be performing “Headlock” and “Fly Me to the Moon” for the recital. The vocal ensemble will also perform in the upcoming chapel and Founder’s Day.

With the upcoming chamber recital organized by the music department, students can get a glimpse of chamber music. The event will have performances by a music theatre ensemble, a violin trio, a flute ensemble, SC Singers and a small vocal ensemble.

Williamson said that students are encouraged to come to the recital to learn about chamber music.

“Come and enjoy the show.”  Admission to the recital is free and open to the public.

Jonathan Woon is a freshman majoring in communication. You may e-mail him at jonathan.woon@sckans.edu.