By Michelle Dreiling

The Lady Builders are undefeated in conference play. They will face Sterling college 6 p.m. Dec 10 at home.

The ladies took on Friends University Dec. 5 in Wichita. The Builders led the score throughout the game, but the margin was tight. Dave Denly, head women’s basketball coach, said, “It went pretty much like we planned on. It was close the whole game. Friends kept coming back at us, keeping the score tight even to the end.”

The outcome of the game was not obvious, even down to the last few minutes. Friends was down by ten at the two-minute mark, but they didn’t let up. They scored a basket at 1:47 and a 3-point goal at 1:18. Another Friends field goal under the one-minute mark brought the score to 57-54. Jasmine Manuel, junior guard, was fouled with .07 seconds left in the game and made both free throws. The final score result was 59-54.

Tylar Hartfield, junior forward, and Jasmine Jackson, sophomore guard, hit the boards with 10 rebounds each. Annjelina Robinson, freshman guard, had four steals. Hartfield was the lead scorer with 16 points, followed by Jackson and Manuel, each with 13.

Denly said, “I was very pleased with how they played. We will be continuing to work on getting our offense more fluid and a little more productive in the half court. We’ll continue working on our offense, on execution and being comfortable and confident and making shots.”

The ladies won their first conference game Dec. 3 against the University of St. Mary. During the first half of the game, the scoring was kept to a minimum as both teams’ defenses were strong. The Builders trailed at halftime was 24-16.

Three minutes into the second half, the momentum shifted to the Builders. Jordan Jarnagin, senior guard, started things off with a steal and a layup to bring the score to 26-22. Manuel was then fouled and made both free throws. The Spires turned the ball over again, with a subsequent field goal and a steal, both from Manuel. Hartfield scored at 13:42 bringing the Builders to a 30-28 lead for the first time in the game. The score on both sides crept up slowly until the five minute mark. Hartfield scored to bring the Builders within two at 39-37. Jarnagin made two free throws at 3:43, tying things up at 39. A majority of the remainder of the game found the ball on Southwestern’s side, with the Lady Spires getting only two shots off and making one basket. Final score of the game was 46-41 to the Builders.

Lead scorers were Jarnagin with 14 points and Hartfield with 13. Hartfield also rebounded nine and had two assists, and shared the most steals with Manuel, Sara Maxwell, junior forward, and Catherine Haikin, sophomore guard. Each had two steals.

After the game, Jarnagin said, “We had really good ball movement against their zone in the first half. When we’re not making the baskets though, we just have to keep at it. It feels really good to get the first one down. We’ve given a lot of time and work to get ourselves ready for conference play, so it’s really exciting to get started and be 1-0. We didn’t play our best and it was not a good win, but we’ll take it however we can.”

Andrea Smith, sophomore forward, said, “The first conference win is always a boost, especially at home. We can take things from this first game and put it toward the rest of our conference play to continue being successful. I feel that we are really streaky at times. One game we can’t miss and things will just click, and other nights we seem to struggle. If we can find that balance of consistency we’re going to be really hard to beat.”

Michelle Dreiling is a senior majoring in communication. You may e-mail her at michelle.dreiling@sckans.edu.