Ellen Blattner, senior forward, defends a rebound Saturday evening against Friends University. The Falcons took the win, handing the Lady Builders their first loss in the KCAC. (Erica Dunigan/Collegian Photographer)

Two undefeated teams faced off Saturday evening at Friends University.  The whistles seemed to blow non-stop and never leaning in the Builders favor. The Lady Builders fell to the Falcons 86-76. Moving them to 7-5 overall and 3-1 in the Kansas Collegiate Athletic Conference.

“As a team we did not do a good job to defend it,” said Dave Denly, head women’s basketball coach. “We were letting players that originally only score five points score.”

The Builders stayed with the Falcons throughout the first half. Brittney Chamberlin, junior guard, fired up a couple three pointers and Zefiryn Bryan, sophomore forward, charged to the basket to help put their team in contention for the win.

Going into the locker room at halftime the Builders kept their head up. The Falcons had slight edge going into the second half 41-38.

“We were trying to play catch up,” said Denly.

As the whistles blew to start the second half the pace stayed the same. The Lady Builders struggled from the free throw line, shooting 56.5 percent and the Falcons shooting 81.5 percent.

The largest lead of the game was 13 points that came from the Falcons. There were five lead changes throughout the night.

Two Builders scored 20 points. Chamberlin lead the Builders with 22 points, 7 of 13 from the field and 7 of 12 from the three point range. Bryan followed scoring 20 points, 8 of 10 from the field and 4 of 7 from the free throw line.

Along with Chamberlin and Bryan, Brett Bates, senior guard, put up 14 points during the game.

“We need to work on getting the stop,” said Bryan. “Along with getting the stop, we need to work on defense.”

The Builders will take a week off and prepare to hit the road to face Walsh University on Dec. 20.

Erica Dunigan is a senior majoring in convergent journalism. You may e-mail her at erica.dunigan@sckans.edu