Kaleb Vining

The 2021 Graduation is coming up soon, but it will be slightly different this year as there will be two commencement ceremonies for the class of 2020 as well as the class of 2021.

Kaydee Riggs-Johnson, vice president for marketing & communications, said that the limit on people for the commencement ceremonies is set at around 265 people.

The inclement weather plan will be in place for both ceremonies as well in order to keep things scheduled as planned.

That includes setting up Stewart Fieldhouse and the Richard L. Jantz Stadium as well.

“We are keeping our fingers crossed and keeping an eye on the forecast as it is Kansas and you never know what the weather might do,” said Riggs-Johnson.

The Class of 2020 activities will begin on May 8, while the Class of 2021 activities will begin on May 9.

However, the Class of 2021 Rehearsal Ceremony has been moved up a day to May 7.

Amanda McKimson, registrar, said that there are 42 people planning to attend the 2020 commencement ceremony while there are 124 main campus graduates who plan to attend the 2021 ceremony.

These numbers however are not set in stone as these are just the people that have contacted the Registrar Office.

Here is the order of events for this year’s ceremonies based on the college’s commencement webpage:

May 8 Events

• Class of 2020 Baccalaureate Service: 9:30 a.m. in Messenger Recital Hall
  • Class of 2021 Commencement Ceremony: 11:00 a.m. at the Richard L. Jantz Stadium
  • Click here for livestream

May 9 Events

• Class of 2021 Baccalaureate Service: 8:00 a.m. in Messenger Recital Hall
  • Order of the Mound Ceremony/Receptions: 9:00 a.m. at Cole Mound Plaza
  • Graduate Commencement Ceremony: 10:00 a.m. in Richardson Performing Arts Center
  • Click here for live stream
  • Professional Studies Commencement Ceremony: 11:30 a.m. in Richardson Performing Arts Center
  • Click here for live stream
  • Class of 2021 Commencement Ceremony: 2:00 p.m. at the Richard L. Jantz Stadium
  • Click here for livestream

Students and families can also click here if they wish to learn more about the ceremonies and events.

The Class of 2020 will be having their commencement this year due to it being cancelled last year because of the pandemic.

While not every student from the Class of 2020 is expected to return for the ceremony, some students actually came back in 2021 to get a second degree.

MacKenzie Lyons, fifth year computer science and digital arts major, said that she returned to get her second degree not to necessarily walk with the class of 2020, but to play one more year of softball and be with her friends.

“My friends were a huge reason I came back because my entire senior class for softball returned as well,” said Lyons.

Lyons’ favorite things about her five years at the college have been the relationships she has built as well as developing a stronger faith at chapel sessions on campus.

Lyons said that she does not yet know what ceremony she will attend.

As for her future, she plans on opening her own nutrition club in Hutchinson.

“God has given me an awesome opportunity so I am going to go ahead and run with it,” said Lyons.