Ornaments are nestled on a tree waiting to be used for the Christmas tree decorating contest on Friday. (Samantha Gillis/Collegian photographer)

By Nick Hofmeister

A holiday tradition that many students have grown to love is SC Christmas. The event, which starts 5 p.m. Dec. 3, will consist of several different activities, one is the annual Lighting of the Christmas Tree at Deets Library. “The Christmas trees that organizations have decorated will be judged that night,” said Morgan Constantine, digital arts junior and president of Student Foundation, “We’ll also light the big tree that night, on keyhole drive.”

Constantine also said that students can look forward to seeing Santa at the event this year. Students will also be able to string popcorn and eat cookies.

The festival has always taken place the week following Thanksgiving. “SC Christmas is a great tradition and StuFu is bringing some new exciting things as well as bringing back some of the older traditions,” said Ariel Prevett, psychology junior and vice president of traditions for StuFu.

“We’re updating the tree lighting ceremony so that there will be a Santa’s workshop where people can make different kinds of Christmas ornaments,” said Prevett.

Prevett said that the scavenger hunt, as well as the themes to the tree decorating have been changed also.

Joanna Woon, music senior, said she likes the campus participating because students can take part in the festivities. “A lot of different organizations are there. It’s a time when everybody comes together,” said Woon.

“My job there is to make sure that everybody has a good time,” said Constantine.

Nick Hofmeister is a junior majoring in new media. You may e-mail him at nick.hofmeister@sckans.edu.