By Kyle Killgore

The men’s basketball team has sought to replace four starters from last season who made contributed to the teams scoring and rebounding. This was made possible by five transfers who will have a direct impact.

The Builders have been picked to finish third in the Kansas Collegiate Athletic Conference by the coaches poll after finishing fifth last season. The Builders lost to the conference champion Friends University in the semifinals, after going 8-10 in KCAC play.

Matt O’Brien, head men’s basketball coach, is confident in the team’s depth going into the season. With recent injuries, O’Brien will rely heavily on players other than his starters.

Two seasons ago, David King, senior post, earned All Conference honors after averaging more than 17 points a game. “I hope to Provide Leadership, do the best I can, and get at least 10 rebounds a game,” said King

King was forced to sit out last season due to a torn ACL, and will be watching the first part of the season due to an injury to the same knee.
“We are still working different lineups and evaluating our players. We have had a couple of recent injuries that have changed things.” said O’Brien. “I think we will probably play more people more minutes with David being out. It will just be a process where we play some games and evaluate our players.”

The Builder’s are going to attack teams on defense, with their aggressive pack defense. “The pack defense it is a total team defense and it relies more on the team than any one person individually and I think the strength of the basketball team is our pack defense,” said O’Brien.

On offense, the Builders are going to be conservative with the basketball, working the ball around to take easy shots.

To start the season, the Builders will play more non conference home games than they have in the past. The non-conference series includes tough games against NCAA Division II teams, Drury University, and Emporia State University.

The Builders start their season Nov. 5, traveling to Faith Baptist Bible College.

Kyle Killgore is a freshman majoring in communication. You may e-mail him at kyle.killgore@sckans.edu