Meseret Elgin, business management junior, pushes the pack as he competes in the men’s 8K at the Tabor Cottonwood Challenge. (Becca Caughey/ Contributed photo)

By Raul Orozco

There is a new face on campus who has already started to make a good impression. Meseret Elgin, more commonly referred to as Messi, is a transfer from Cowley College. He is a junior majoring in business management. He is a part of cross country, track, and discipleship.

Apart from being a star in the running teams, a small factoid about Messi is that he was born in Ethiopia. The five-foot-two man certainly lives up to the running standard that his country is famous for. Messi said, “I was adopted from a young age and I moved to Wisconsin.” Messi knows a lot of where he came from, even though he moved away from Ethiopia at a young age. Messi speaks Amharic, the traditional language of his country.

Whenever Messi isn’t running away from the competition, he likes to help others, go on mission trips, and serving God in any way he can. He is hoping to continue those same interests for as long as he lives.

He plans on working onto owning his own business in either the landscaping or welding fields. He has experience in welding during his time at Cowley Community College, and hopes to put that to good use in his life after college.