Cooper Hart, theatre junior, Lisa Prater, theatre sophomore, Lenita Krejci, theatre senior, and Justin Tinker, theatre junior, act out one of the opening scenes from The Skin of Our Teeth in the Richardson Performing Arts Center Tuesday night. The play will premiere at 7:30 p.m. Thursday in Richardson. (Clinton Dick/Collegian photographer)

By Cristelle Tejes

“The Skin of our Teeth” is Southwestern College’s Homecoming show. It’s the first show to be performed in the brand new Richardson Hall. Lauren Dentscheff, theater and speech education freshman, Lisa Prater, theater performance and technical theater sophomore, and Lenita Krejci, theater and speech education and music theater performance senior, have three of the leading roles. They are all super excited to perform in the brand new hall.

“’The Skin of Our Teeth’ is a crazy, brilliant show by Thornton Wilder. It’s about the human struggle to survive, and takes place over the span of thousands of years. It’s very abstract, and hilarious. Coincidentally it is the first Homecoming show ever performed in Richardson Hall after it was destroyed by a fire and renovated for the first time. The theme of the play is to rebuild and never lose hope, which was appropriate then,” said Prater.

Dentscheff said, “I am extremely excited, especially as a freshman, to perform in the new Richardson Hall. It’s a new beginning for the theater and a new beginning for me. I am a freshman with a leading role.”  Dentscheff is playing Sabrina the maid.

Prater is performing as Gladys Antrobus, the daughter in the Antrobus family. “The best part of my role is having my boyfriend play my older brother. Talk about awkward,” said Prater.  Gladys Antrobus’s older brother is Henry Antrobus, played by Justin Tinker, theater performance and technical theater senior.

Krejci said, “I am very excited to be a part of a new era in the drama department history. It’s also very exciting to be part of something that’s new, yet has generations of tradition at the same time.” Krejci is portraying the role of Mrs. Antrobus, a mother and wife. Chris Cole, physical education senior, plays Mr. Antrobus, father and husband.

“The Skin of Our Teeth” is being performed at 7:30 p.m. Oct. 6, 8 p.m. Oct. 7, and 3 p.m. Oct. 9 in the newly renovated Richardson Hall.  Tickets are free for SC students and faculty, $4 for students and $8 for adults.

Cristelle Tejes is a sophomore majoring in communication. You may e-mail her at cristelle.tejes@sckans.edu.