The elements were not ideal for a track and field meet Saturday. The Builder track team traveled to Emporia State to compete in their third outdoor meet of the season and had their struggles on a hot, windy day.

“For the most part it was ok, but it wasn’t our best performance overall,” said Jim Helmer, head men’s track coach. “The conditions were so difficult that we just struggled with some things, but we need to a better job of dealing with some of that.”

A total of 28 schools attended the Emporia State Relays, including: Kansas State, University of Nebraska Omaha, Wichita State and University of Missouri-Kansas City. Mike Kirkland, head women’s track coach, said it was a different feel for many of the younger competitors.

“Once they got competing, I think they felt comfortable,” said Kirkland. “They just have to remember that no matter who you are lining up against, to go hard and the results will take care of themselves.”

Allyssa Zentner, sophomore, hit the provisional qualifying standard for nationals in the javelin contest. Her throw of 131’ 7” was good enough to not only place third at the meet, but she also knocked out a school record that had not been touched since 1995.

“(Allyssa) has been working hard and has really had some breakthroughs this season,” said Kirkland.

The women’s 4×800 meter relay team consisting of Jordan Unruh, nursing senior, Taylor Kinnamon, Cori Hunt, freshman, and Amy Pierson, nursing senior, placed second in their race with a time of 9:55.25 and narrowly missed a national qualifying mark.

“It was a good performance on their part,” said Kirkland. “They finished behind national power Oklahoma Baptist and that was the first time we had run that race outdoors this season.”

Also on the women’s side, Pierson had a strong individual effort in the 800 run, finishing ninth out of 55 runners with a time of 2:24.49. Christine Sheppard, freshman, also had a big day as she hit a personal best time of 26.68 in the 200 meter dash.

Trevor Noel, digital arts sophomore, picked up where he left off in the men’s triple jump. He hit his second automatic qualifying mark of the season and also jumped a personal best distance of 47-9 ¼. He also placed fourth in the event.

“Trevor Noel is jumping really well,” said Helmer. “We were really pleased with that.”

The Pittsburg State Gorilla Classic is the next stop for the team April 16. Helmer says he is expecting good competition at the meet.

“It has been a really good meet for us in the past,” said Helmer. “It is a high quality meet because there are a lot of NCAA Division II schools that usually attend. There were around 16 schools there last year.”

Helmer also says that the meet will be a good chance for the team to get back on track.

“We are trying to get freshened up and peak at the right time of the season.”

Clinton Dick is sophomore majoring in convergent journalism. You may e-mail him at clinton.dick@sckans.edu.

Edited by Alejandra Rojas