By Katie Vorderstrasse

The first ever men’s and women’s track Kansas Collegiate Athletic Conference indoor championship will occur this year. Wichita State University will host the event. This will take place Feb.10 and 11 in the Heskett Center.

With the KCAC championship addition to the schedule the team’s thought process is different this year. “It puts a different perspective on things,” said Jim Helmer, men’s head track coach. He said, “There are a lot of unanswered questions at this point.”

Going into this meet the Builders have contended in two meets while other colleges have only had one. “This group is just going to get better and better,” said Mike Kirkland, women’s head track coach.

Not only is the tough process different, but the importance of athletic ability has changed. “This has definitely kicked and started us into competition,” said Chandler Kirkhart, senior business marketing. Kirkhart will be competing in the 400 meter run.

With 29 consecutive Kansas Collegiate Athletic Conferences titles and 37 titles in the past 51 years Helmer said, “We will try and keep the tradition of excellence going.”

Kirkland said, “The success of our team or any team isn’t based on how many qualified, but what the entire team is doing at work.”

Katie Vorderstrasse is a freshman majoring in communication. You may e-mail her at katie.vorderstrasse@sckans.edu.